Enjoy a hearty lentil soup packed with fiber and nutrient dense foods.
Hearty Lentil Soup
Adapted from Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn.
Servings: 8 people
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 3 medium carrots chopped/sliced
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomaotes salt-free
- 4 cups vegetable broth low sodium, oil free
- 1 tsp Chipotle chili flakes optional
- bunch of baby spinach and other greens
- low-sodium Tamari optional/to taste
- 2 cups red lentils
- Stir fry onions till tender, then add garlic, bell peppers, carrots, celery, tomatoes, lentils, broth and spices. Bring to a boil, stir and then simmer covered for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to stop lentils sticking to the bottom of the pot.Add spinach and low sodium Tamari to taste before serving.